Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Bon Appetit!

It’s amazing how much time you can spend at home just doing a whole lot of nothing, thinking about how much you would like to be doing something, but have no idea what it is you might like to do. It’s also amazing how worthwhile it is to read your local neighbourhood paper or newsletter every once in a while, because every now and then you come across an ad for something that just seems appealing enough to move for. It also helps when it costs very little and is a whole lot of good quality.

Tonight, we Little Stevies took part in a 2 ½ hour Italian cuisine cooking class at the nearby community centre, and it was awesome fun. Byll found the ad, she needed a partner, I can’t cook, so I was the perfect candidate.

It’s definitely one of those things that I would have found extremely daggy a few years ago, particularly if it was something mum had of suggested during her quest to make us join clubs a while back. She said “It’s important to meet new people and spend time doing other activities as well as the band”. Maybe that was mum’s way of communicating concern for how much focus we had chosen to put into such an uncertain career path, having been there and done it herself when she was our age. But for whatever reason she said it, turns out parents aren’t always as crazy as you think they are in retrospect. The thought did occur to me this evening of why I hadn’t done something like this before now.

So we made pasta. Now I know what you’re thinking, pasta, pretty easy dish right? But we actually MADE the pasta. Got the flour, eggs, oil, and salt, kneaded it, thinned it, put it through the machine and ended up with a big plate of fresh homemade spaghetti that we devoured with a cold glass of bubbly rose, under a spell of Italian Oprah. I couldn’t believe how proud I felt and how satisfying it was to eat pasta that I had made with my bare hands. I was really doubtful that I would ever be able to do that. But as good as it was I’m also doubtful I will ever have the impulse to spent hours making a meal with that much detail again. Bless the people who are naturally talented chefs and whom I can simply buy their creations from. Sometimes I think we are just wired a certain way. But I’m still hopeful I will one day be able to cook a meal for my children when I one day have them… Maybe a meal… Maybe… We’ll see…

Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment