Thursday, November 19, 2009

Adventures at (and mostly before) the IF Awards, by Beth (with some interjections from Robin)



I’m sitting at home with mum and dad, and yes, we are settling in to watch the 2009 IF Awards on SBS that we had the pleasure of attending only 24 hours ago in Sydney.

It was the shortest jet setting trip we’ve ever done (Wrong! We once flew to Canberra for a festival and flew home the same day! – Robin). This is how the day flowed: I woke with just enough time to race up to the shopping centre to buy some skin coloured stockings to wear with my prepared attire that I had packed the night before. Three pairs of stockings/tights (some for Byll as well) and $40 later (oh my goodness, stockings are such a rip off!), I got back just in time to pick Byll up and to catch our flight with our favourite airline, Tiger (I hope that was sarcastic – you know they’re the ones who smashed my guitar, right?! – Robin). I had packed minimal, one dress, one pair of shoes and make up. Byll on the other hand, looked like she had packed for a week.

We arrived at the hotel, that Byll had boasted was only a 10 min walk from Luna Park, where the ceremony was being held, and it couldn’t have turned out to be a more stressful afternoon. I was super excited about the evening and getting to dress up. I hadn’t dressed up like this since my year 12 formal. Only three days before I was convinced that my chosen retro style black and white checked dress was perfect and that I looked sensational as I strutted around the lounge room giving mum and dad a fashion parade. But as I watched my big sister get into her outfit, I got that feeling that you never grow out of as a younger sibling, which was a mixture of admiration, jealousy and disappointment, because she looked absolutely amazing, and I wanted to look just as good. I quickly realised that my only retro black and white checked dress that I had brought needed to be immediately tossed.

This is when the stress kicked in. Their were a few tears when I went to put my never before worn stockings on and immediately pulled a ladder from my ankle to my knee in literally a second, and then to realise that because I couldn’t wear my wrecked stockings I would reveal my atrocious freshly painted grape fruit toe nails, that for some weird reason I thought looked good the night before. So Byll came to my rescue, wiped those tears away and offered her numerous other dresses to me as an alternative that she had come prepared with. I went for the classic black number, and thank the lord all was peachy again.


We met the rest of ‘team Sunshower’ (Robin, Stew and Lorin) by the red carpet. We watched closely while the celebs rolled out of the circling cars doing the drop offs. After chickening out of approaching the red carpet ourselves, we strolled down along side the red carpet to pick up our tickets. It went something like “Hi, we are The Little Stevies, we’re nominated for Best Video Clip tonight”. To our absolute delight and surprise the woman responsible for the tickets immediately responded with “The Little Stevies? Why aren’t you in a car?” Wow, we were meant to be in one of those cars that drop you off at the red carpet and then you get your picture taken! Well we weren’t going to miss out on that! In true Stevie style, ‘team Sunshower’ turned straight around, trekked all the way back to the beginning of the red carpet, embarrassingly found ourselves being the very last group, but walked that carpet like it was only ours.

The ceremony began and our award was second up. We try not to be a competitive band when it comes to these things, but damn we wanted to win. Unfortunately, we didn’t get to take to the stage in the following minutes, but we watched a grab of our clip up on the big screens and I have to say that I was particularly thrilled and proud to see our clip up there for all to watch.

We hit the after party, drank more champagne, danced a little and fed ourselves. I had such a great time and would do it all again in a second…… but I’m never again in my life wearing high heels!!!

Over and Out,

Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment